Lighting design can have a huge impact on the aesthetic appeal of your home, outside and in! Check out these tips and ideas:
- Install dimmer switches. I would put them on as many lamps and light fixtures as you can. This creates soothing mood and can also be romantic. What this will do is give you control over the intensity of light around your home and save energy at the same time.
- Recessed (can) lights. You can also use can lights for dark corners or rooms that could use more light. You can find them in a variety of styles.
- Under-cabinet lights. You can install these in the kitchen, desk area, or workroom is also a beautiful way to update your rooms. I know that I just love to walk into a kitchen at night with the under cabinet lighting it can make such a big difference even if you have not updated you cabinets.
- Install a reading light on the wall near the bed or lounge chair.
- Remove boring ceiling fixtures and install recessed or eyeball lights around the room. This one may cost a bit more than the others but it will be well worth it! You can direct the light to artwork, reading nooks, or work spaces.
- Install a motion sensor on outdoor light fixtures to control the light when people walk too close to the house. Or, at a dark hallway or staircase, or in the garage or attic so that you never have to enter the space in the dark.
- Add a light sensor (dusk-to-dawn) to an outdoor light. You’ll have light whenever it’s dark outside, adds safety to your home and the light will go off at daybreak. Similarly, you can use a timer.
- If you use a lamp, up-light, and a ceiling fixture all in one room, the layers of light will look more interesting and clean; it will also give you more lighting options.
- Point lights at your artwork with track lighting. There are many styles that are designed just for lighting art.
- LED bulbs. These run cool and save you money. If your home has a track lighting system, you can switch out those hot-running halogen bulbs for LEDs. (What’s the difference?) These are some of the most energy-efficient light bulbs on the market. LEDs have an average lifespan up to 30 times greater than that of a halogen bulb, they also use up to 80% less energy. Because they run cool they can actually help to reduce your cooling costs. Read more here.
Let us help you with your lighting remodel – contact us today!